From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Anti-spam changes: proposal to drop spammy mail
Date: Mon, 11 May 2015 16:56:10
1 On Mon, May 11, 2015 at 11:21 AM, C Bergström <cbergstrom@×××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Mon, May 11, 2015 at 9:59 PM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
3 >> On Mon, May 11, 2015 at 10:44 AM, C Bergström <cbergstrom@×××××××××.com> wrote:
4 >>> What I'm describing is not "gmail" - it's everything that gmail has
5 >>> and offers, but @gentoo.org domain. I'm using it right now in fact.
6 >>>
7 >>> You get the web interface, IMAP, POP, 2 token authentication (if you
8 >>> want to enabled it) and lots of other things. etc etc
9 >>
10 >> How about the source code?
11 >
12 > Do you have the source for github?
15 That would be why I point out that we have debates over its use.
16 Right now we're accepting it mainly because it is an alternative. I
17 suspect there would be more concern if it were proposed that we move
18 to it exclusively.
21 > There are "free" alternatives and this is the exact same thing as
22 > github. IMAP and POP are comparable to git as google hosted apps is
23 > comparable to github.
24
25 I think that is actually your best line of argument. They're just a
26 black box that accepts SMTP and makes available POP, and that is all
27 Gentoo uses. They just happen to offer an MUA on the side, which g.o
28 devs/staff can use at their discretion.
29
30 I'm not convinced it is the way to go, all the same.
31
32 > There's a line between being passionate and
33 > ignoring a sensible good alternative. I can't say where to draw that
34 > line, but imho I hope pragmatic people will take a look instead of
35 > just dismissing it.
38 I have nothing against Gmail and I'm composing this email using it.
39 Even so, unless we were simply unable to host our own mail, I'm not
40 sure I'd advocate moving g.o over to Google apps.
41
42 That doesn't mean I'm not willing to be pragmatic. I just think that
43 making a change like this really should be done only out of necessity.
44 There are other Gentoo services that I'd sooner see go than email.
45
46 > Oh and btw - the whole problem comes because people are forwarding to
47 > gmail. Is that open source? It's clear a large number of people
48 > already use and depend on the exact same service I'm suggesting. How
49 > on earth could those same people object... (I don't see the open
50 > source communit up in arms over yahoo mail and gmail..)
51
52 I can use Gmail personally and still object to forcing everybody else
53 to use it. I don't see that as hypocrisy at all.
54
55 > Do you own a phone that connects to this email? Android, iOS.. etc
56 > aren't "open source", but somehow we survive..
57
58 Android is more or less open-source. There are some blobs in it, but
59 not all that much more than you'd find on a typical PC running Gentoo.
60 But again, Gentoo doesn't provide cell phones or require that anybody
61 own one. If somebody wants to read dev.g.o on their iPhone, I don't
62 have a problem with that. If we were to force anybody who wanted to
63 subscribe to dev.g.o to own an iPhone I would have a problem with
64 that.
67 Rich