From: "C Bergström" <cbergstrom@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Anti-spam changes: proposal to drop spammy mail
Date: Mon, 11 May 2015 17:06:56
1 On Mon, May 11, 2015 at 11:55 PM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Mon, May 11, 2015 at 11:21 AM, C Bergström <cbergstrom@×××××××××.com> wrote:
3 >> On Mon, May 11, 2015 at 9:59 PM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
4 >>> On Mon, May 11, 2015 at 10:44 AM, C Bergström <cbergstrom@×××××××××.com> wrote:
5 >>>> What I'm describing is not "gmail" - it's everything that gmail has
6 >>>> and offers, but @gentoo.org domain. I'm using it right now in fact.
7 >>>>
8 >>>> You get the web interface, IMAP, POP, 2 token authentication (if you
9 >>>> want to enabled it) and lots of other things. etc etc
10 >>>
11 >>> How about the source code?
12 >>
13 >> Do you have the source for github?
16 > That would be why I point out that we have debates over its use.
17 > Right now we're accepting it mainly because it is an alternative. I
18 > suspect there would be more concern if it were proposed that we move
19 > to it exclusively.
22 >> There are "free" alternatives and this is the exact same thing as
23 >> github. IMAP and POP are comparable to git as google hosted apps is
24 >> comparable to github.
25 >
26 > I think that is actually your best line of argument. They're just a
27 > black box that accepts SMTP and makes available POP, and that is all
28 > Gentoo uses. They just happen to offer an MUA on the side, which g.o
29 > devs/staff can use at their discretion.
30 >
31 > I'm not convinced it is the way to go, all the same.
32 >
33 >> There's a line between being passionate and
34 >> ignoring a sensible good alternative. I can't say where to draw that
35 >> line, but imho I hope pragmatic people will take a look instead of
36 >> just dismissing it.
39 > I have nothing against Gmail and I'm composing this email using it.
40 > Even so, unless we were simply unable to host our own mail, I'm not
41 > sure I'd advocate moving g.o over to Google apps.
42 >
43 > That doesn't mean I'm not willing to be pragmatic. I just think that
44 > making a change like this really should be done only out of necessity.
45 > There are other Gentoo services that I'd sooner see go than email.
46 >
47 >> Oh and btw - the whole problem comes because people are forwarding to
48 >> gmail. Is that open source? It's clear a large number of people
49 >> already use and depend on the exact same service I'm suggesting. How
50 >> on earth could those same people object... (I don't see the open
51 >> source communit up in arms over yahoo mail and gmail..)
52 >
53 > I can use Gmail personally and still object to forcing everybody else
54 > to use it. I don't see that as hypocrisy at all.
55 >
56 >> Do you own a phone that connects to this email? Android, iOS.. etc
57 >> aren't "open source", but somehow we survive..
58 >
59 > Android is more or less open-source. There are some blobs in it, but
60 > not all that much more than you'd find on a typical PC running Gentoo.
61 > But again, Gentoo doesn't provide cell phones or require that anybody
62 > own one. If somebody wants to read dev.g.o on their iPhone, I don't
63 > have a problem with that. If we were to force anybody who wanted to
64 > subscribe to dev.g.o to own an iPhone I would have a problem with
65 > that.
66
67 Android is much less open than people think or want to believe.
68 Entirely besides that point - I hope this could be proposed and at
69 least looked at as an option. I have ran a postfix setup with
70 graylisting and spam filtering. It's quite a bit of maintenance to
71 ensure it's done in a high quality manner. The time/cost/energy in
72 that vs something which "just works" is hard to pass up. I realize
73 philosophies and religions differ - I respect your view and hope a
74 good solution is found in the end. If not now - I suspect at some
75 point gentoo will relinquish their email to a service provider..