From: Matthew Thode <prometheanfire@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Anti-spam changes: proposal to drop spammy mail
Date: Mon, 11 May 2015 16:21:03
1 On 05/11/2015 10:21 AM, C Bergström wrote:
2 > On Mon, May 11, 2015 at 9:59 PM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
3 >> On Mon, May 11, 2015 at 10:44 AM, C Bergström <cbergstrom@×××××××××.com> wrote:
4 >>> What I'm describing is not "gmail" - it's everything that gmail has
5 >>> and offers, but @gentoo.org domain. I'm using it right now in fact.
6 >>>
7 >>> You get the web interface, IMAP, POP, 2 token authentication (if you
8 >>> want to enabled it) and lots of other things. etc etc
9 >>
10 >> How about the source code?
11 >
12 > Do you have the source for github?
13 No, but we get flack for that all the time, I'd personally like to see
14 us use bitbucket as they have a more opensource and doc'd stack.
17 >>>
18 >>> It used to be free, but now google charges for it with an exception
19 >>> for non-profits.
20 >>
21 >> The social contract isn't about free-of-cost. In fact, Gentoo pays
22 >> for a number of services (often below commercial rates, but not
23 >> everybody can afford to donate 100% of what we need). We've even paid
24 >> for a bug bounty on one occasion. The social contract is about
25 >> free-as-in-freedom. We don't depend on proprietary services as much
26 >> as possible.
27 >>
28 >> We even have debates over the use of github, since the pull request
29 >> side isn't really FOSS. It is tolerated mainly because we have FOSS
30 >> alternatives as well, and bugzilla is still the primary bug
31 >> tracker/etc. To the extent that github is just used as a hosting
32 >> provider for git it is completely compatible with the social contract,
33 >> and would be so even if we were paying for it.
34 >
35 > There are "free" alternatives and this is the exact same thing as
36 > github. IMAP and POP are comparable to git as google hosted apps is
37 > comparable to github. There's a line between being passionate and
38 > ignoring a sensible good alternative. I can't say where to draw that
39 > line, but imho I hope pragmatic people will take a look instead of
40 > just dismissing it.
41 >
42 > Oh and btw - the whole problem comes because people are forwarding to
43 > gmail. Is that open source? It's clear a large number of people
44 > already use and depend on the exact same service I'm suggesting. How
45 > on earth could those same people object... (I don't see the open
46 > source communit up in arms over yahoo mail and gmail..)
47 >
48 > /* I'm just trying to level the conversation in terms of "social
49 > contract" and what people generally find acceptable */
50 > Do you own a phone that connects to this email? Android, iOS.. etc
51 > aren't "open source", but somehow we survive..
56 -- Matthew Thode (prometheanfire)