From: Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o>
To: gentoo development <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Is removing old EAPIs worth the churn?
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2018 22:21:46
1 On Tue, Mar 6, 2018 at 1:17 PM, Andreas K. Huettel <dilfridge@g.o> wrote:
2 > Am Dienstag, 6. März 2018, 02:52:54 CET schrieb Matt Turner:
3 >> EAPI 2 removal bug: https://bugs.gentoo.org/648050
4 >>
5 >> It seems like tons of churn to update old stable ebuilds to a new
6 >> EAPI, just for its own sake. Take https://bugs.gentoo.org/648154 for
7 >> example. New ebuild added with EAPI 6 bumped from EAPI 2. Otherwise
8 >> functionally identical. Now asking arch teams to retest and
9 >> restabilize. Multiply by 100 or more.
10 >
11 > OK so here's my personal opinion:
12 >
13 > Is it worth the effort? Yes, see below.
14 > Is it a high priority task? No.
15 >
16 > Is it really that much effort? Well, we're even in the case of EAPI=2 talking
17 > about only 400 ebuilds of 35000 in total. That's roughly 1% of the tree. And
18 > I'd strongly suspect that even without the EAPI update it would make very much
19 > sense to check these 400 old ebuilds and test whether they still work as
20 > intended.
21
22 There are plenty of reported bugs to look at. No need to go searching
23 for more :)
24
25 > What do we gain?
26 >
27 > * Mainly, less stuff to memorize. I'll be throwing a party on the day when the
28 > last EAPI=0 ebuild is gone. (In the retirement home, probably.)
29
30 This is the argument made by others about the cognitive overhead of
31 remembering all the EAPI differences. If the packages are untouched
32 for ages and don't require maintenance, my claim is that there is no
33 cognitive load to begin with.
34
35 > * Also, it's not just having a bigger number, but also useful features...
36 >
37 > Why now EAPI=2?
38 >
39 > * EAPI=3 is nearly gone (27 ebuilds left, scheme & java please get a move! :)
40 > * EAPI=2 is the one with the next-least ebuilds.
41 >
42 > While it would be very nice to remove EAPI=0, let's go for easier targets
43 > first; the number of EAPI=0 ebuilds will decrease organically in the meantime.
44 >
45 > [Interestingly, as long as no specific efforts are made, the number of ebuilds
46 > in all deprecated EAPI decreases roughly equally and exponentially. That means
47 > the probability of any old ebuild to be removed within a certain time interval
48 > is a constant as function of time...]
49
50 This is a great point in favor of *not* bothering to proactively bump EAPI.