From: "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Is removing old EAPIs worth the churn?
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2018 00:49:08
2 > > * Mainly, less stuff to memorize. I'll be throwing a party on the day when
3 > > the last EAPI=0 ebuild is gone. (In the retirement home, probably.)
4 >
5 > This is the argument made by others about the cognitive overhead of
6 > remembering all the EAPI differences. If the packages are untouched
7 > for ages and don't require maintenance, my claim is that there is no
8 > cognitive load to begin with.
9
10 That stops the moment something could use a USE- or slot operator dependency
11 (because of a tree-wide change that also affects the old package). Then the
12 EAPI bump suddenly becomes urgent (and a minor QA-like commit becomes a major
13 change).
14
15 And no bugs probably just means no users that could file bugs. We really need
16 something like gentoostats...
17
18 > > [Interestingly, as long as no specific efforts are made, the number of
19 > > ebuilds in all deprecated EAPI decreases roughly equally and
20 > > exponentially. That means the probability of any old ebuild to be removed
21 > > within a certain time interval is a constant as function of time...]
22 >
23 > This is a great point in favor of *not* bothering to proactively bump EAPI.
24
25 Not really. It's an asymptotic curve. *If* you want to have it gone
26 *completely* at some point, you have to start actively working on that. The
27 only question is when, earlier or later...
28
29 I'd guess having an EAPI approach <~ 1% of the tree is probably as good as any
30 other criterion.
31
32 [[What is interesting but offtopic is that the exponential decay is the same
33 for a long timeframe, see [*] third panel... the downward slope of the white
34 line for EAPI=0 barely changes, and the other EAPI run parallel to it as long
35 as nothing special happens... This means that Gentoo isn't dying after all,
36 since the same developer activity takes place!]]
37
38 [*] https://www.akhuettel.de/~huettel/plots/eapi.php
41 Andreas K. Hüttel
42 dilfridge@g.o
43 Gentoo Linux developer
44 (council, toolchain, perl, libreoffice, comrel)