From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: Jason Zaman <perfinion@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>, licenses <licenses@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [RFC] Adding 'GPL-2-only', 'GPL-3-only' etc. license variants for better auditing
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2019 06:16:56
1 >>>>> On Tue, 24 Sep 2019, Jason Zaman wrote:
2
3 > The "GPL-2.0" one is deprecated:
4 > https://spdx.org/licenses/GPL-2.0.html
5
6 > If SPDX moved to having two names "-only" and "-or-later" then we
7 > should too.
8
9 The main problem is that we will always have licenses that are not in
10 their list. So if they add them later, chances are that we would have to
11 rename ours, forcing our users to update their ACCEPT_LICENSE variable
12 and possibly reinstall packages.
13
14 Generally, it is also not predictable what they will choose as an
15 identifier. For example, there is "BSD-2-Clause" but "0BSD". Sometimes
16 they stick with the upstream version (e.g. CDDL-1.0), sometimes they
17 invent their own (GPL-2.0-only), and sometimes they drop the version
18 altogether (WTFPL). In addition, they change their names, which would
19 make it even more difficult to catch up.
20
21 So, we can use SPDX as a guideline when adding _new_ licenses, but I
22 don't see any good reason for renaming existing ones. Especially when
23 the SPDX identifiers aren't stable.
24
25 Ulrich