From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Help maintaining dev-erlang and ejabberd
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2017 02:33:55
1 R0b0t1 posted on Tue, 22 Aug 2017 21:46:09 -0500 as excerpted:
2
3 > On Tue, Aug 22, 2017 at 3:50 PM, <aidecoe@g.o> wrote:
4 >>
5 >> Some time ago I've made an effort to split ejabberd into proper
6 >> dependencies handled by portage rather than repackaging bundle produced
7 >> by rebar. While I've found that easier to maintain, my lack of
8 >> knowledge about Erlang makes maintenanace quite difficult. I'd
9 >> appreciate if someone who actually has some experience in Erlang helps
10 >> maintaining it.
11 >
12 > I would like to see Erlang receive continued maintenance and may be
13 > able to help (note I am not as experienced as some). However this
14 > would be my first time working with portage at such a level.
15 >
16 > I apologize if my post is too forward for this list.
17
18 Wonderful, and not too forward at all. =:^)
19
20 The gentoo mechanism by which non-gentoo devs maintain or co-maintain
21 packages is called proxy maintenance:
22
23 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Proxy_Maintainers
24
25 For packages such as this one that you'd be co-maintaining along-side the
26 existing maintainer, you obviously work with them and have already
27 initiated contact there. You also need to contact the proxy-maintainer
28 project to initiate that angle. There's further details and additional
29 resources on the linked page, above.
34 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman