From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] ban use of base-4 casemods in ebuilds due to locale collation instability
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2015 08:05:08
1 >>>>> On Wed, 11 Nov 2015, Mike Frysinger wrote:
2
3 >> This is wrong on so many levels. :( It starts with the fact that the
4 >> dot over the lowercase latin i historically never was a diacritical
5 >> mark [1].
6 >>
7 >> Maybe we should advise users in our documentaion that they should
8 >> avoid such broken locales for ebuilds?
9
10 > i'm not sure telling people their native language is wrong is a smart
11 > move. it also would seem to cut against the purpose of the PMS.
12
13 There is of course nothing wrong with the Turkish language or writing
14 system.
15
16 However, if a language attaches meaning to the dot and uses it as a
17 diacritical mark, then it is (IMHO) not the smartest move to encode it
18 in a way that the letters I and i (which historically in the Latin
19 alphabet are upper and lower case variants of each other) are reused.
20 The sane thing would have been to encode the two Turkish i variants as
21 "LATIN SMALL LETTER I WITH DOT ABOVE" etc.
22
23 Ulrich