From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] ban use of base-4 casemods in ebuilds due to locale collation instability
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2015 07:47:38
1 On 11 Nov 2015 08:37, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
2 > >>>>> On Wed, 11 Nov 2015, René Neumann wrote:
3 >
4 > >> Shouldn't these be safe to use if the string consists purely of
5 > >> ASCII characters? I mean, A-Z and a-z should be uppercase and
6 > >> lowercase, respectively, in any locale?
7 >
8 > > Unfortunately, no (have been bitten by this issue already some years
9 > > ago):
10 >
11 > > $ echo $LC_ALL
12 > > tr_TR
13 > > $ f=i; echo ${f^^}
14 > > İ
15 > > $ f=I; echo ${f,}
16 > > ı
17 >
18 > This is wrong on so many levels. :( It starts with the fact that the
19 > dot over the lowercase latin i historically never was a diacritical
20 > mark [1].
21 >
22 > Maybe we should advise users in our documentaion that they should
23 > avoid such broken locales for ebuilds?
24
25 i'm not sure telling people their native language is wrong is a smart
26 move. it also would seem to cut against the purpose of the PMS.
27 -mike