From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] ban use of base-4 casemods in ebuilds due to locale collation instability
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2015 07:37:29
1 >>>>> On Wed, 11 Nov 2015, René Neumann wrote:
2
3 >> Shouldn't these be safe to use if the string consists purely of
4 >> ASCII characters? I mean, A-Z and a-z should be uppercase and
5 >> lowercase, respectively, in any locale?
6
7 > Unfortunately, no (have been bitten by this issue already some years
8 > ago):
9
10 > $ echo $LC_ALL
11 > tr_TR
12 > $ f=i; echo ${f^^}
13 > İ
14 > $ f=I; echo ${f,}
15 > ı
16
17 This is wrong on so many levels. :( It starts with the fact that the
18 dot over the lowercase latin i historically never was a diacritical
19 mark [1].
20
21 Maybe we should advise users in our documentaion that they should
22 avoid such broken locales for ebuilds?
23
24 Ulrich
27 [1] https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Evolution_of_minuscule.svg