From: "Tiziano Müller" <dev-zero@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Issues regarding glep-55 (Was: [gentoo-council] Re: Preliminary Meeting-Topics for 12 February 2009)
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 10:02:53
1 Am Montag, den 23.02.2009, 22:25 +1300 schrieb Alistair Bush:
2 >
3 > Tiziano Müller wrote:
4 > >> What is proposed in glep-55 seems to aim to solve both issues at the
5 > >> same time (it isn't stated) by switching file extension every time the
6 > >> eapi is changed. This is slightly against the principle of the least
7 > >> surprise and apparently is disliked by enough people to lead the
8 > >> situation to be discussed in the council.
9 > >>
10 > >
11 > > Instead of switching file extension every time the eapi is changed you
12 > > could also increment it only when a new EAPI breaks sourcing the ebuild
13 > > compared to the requirements of the prior EAPI.
14 > > (This way you'd in fact split EAPI into a major- and a minor-version.)
17 > Doesn't that just add extra complexity for no gain.
18 Yes, sure. I was just looking for a solution for the "we have countless .eapi-X after 10 years" problem.
19
20 > Personally I don't see what the problem is with simply implementing
21 > GLEP-55. It's the best solution.
22 > It should be pretty simple to implement too. Certainly it wouldn't be
23 > anymore difficult to implement than your solution.
24
25 I fully agree.