From: Douglas Anderson <dja@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Issues regarding glep-55 (Was: [gentoo-council] Re: Preliminary Meeting-Topics for 12 February 2009)
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 12:11:11
1 On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 7:02 PM, Tiziano Müller <dev-zero@g.o> wrote:
2 > Am Montag, den 23.02.2009, 22:25 +1300 schrieb Alistair Bush:
3 >>
4 >> Tiziano Müller wrote:
5 >> >> What is proposed in glep-55 seems to aim to solve both issues at the
6 >> >> same time (it isn't stated) by switching file extension every time the
7 >> >> eapi is changed. This is slightly against the principle of the least
8 >> >> surprise and apparently is disliked by enough people to lead the
9 >> >> situation to be discussed in the council.
10 >> >>
11 >> >
12 >> > Instead of switching file extension every time the eapi is changed you
13 >> > could also increment it only when a new EAPI breaks sourcing the ebuild
14 >> > compared to the requirements of the prior EAPI.
15 >> > (This way you'd in fact split EAPI into a major- and a minor-version.)
16 >> >
17 >>
18 >> Doesn't that just add extra complexity for no gain.
19 > Yes, sure. I was just looking for a solution for the "we have countless .eapi-X after 10 years" problem.
20
21 No one wants to be working with ebuild-29 or something like that in a
22 few years and trying to figure out which feature came in which EAPI.
23 Instead of bumping EAPI for each little change, save them up and bump
24 no more than once a year or less, each bump bringing in some major new
25 feature. With a little common sense and planning, we could make this a
26 non-issue and give ebuild authors and PM devs alike a little time to
27 get used to each change.