From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Opinion against /usr merge
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2012 20:19:09
1 On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 3:20 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 2:12 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 3:03 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >>> On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 1:53 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >>>> On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 2:47 PM, Alec Warner <antarus@g.o> wrote:
6 >>> [snip]
7 >>>>> Debian uses initramfs-tools...
8 >>>>
9 >>>> AFAIK, neither genkernel nor dracut were expected to get tied to the
10 >>>> Gentoo update process. Has that changed?
11 >>>
12 >>> The kernel you are running (if you update your machine) is not tied to
13 >>> the Gentoo update process. The *source code* gets installed, but the
14 >>> kernel source remains unchanged in /usr/src/whatever. It's the user
15 >>> responsibility to configure, compile, and install the kernel (and then
16 >>> update LILO, grub-legacy or GRUB2). It can be automated with (ta-da)
17 >>> genkernel, but it's not "tied to the Gentoo update process".
18 >>>
19 >>> I really don't see that much difference with needing to also update
20 >>> the initramfs, if needed.
21 >>
22 >> What if your DNS resolver in your rescue shell has a vulnerability?
23 >> What if wget, links or whatever network tools you use during recovery
24 >> have a vulnerability?
25 >>
26 >> These are tools which are commonly placed in initramfs.
27 >
28 > First of all, none of this has nothing to do with the discussion at
29 > hand.
30
31 I completely disagree. If you take a step in a direction, you have
32 momentum. So before you take a step in that direction, you should look
33 where that momentum will carry you.
34
35 > Second, I don't know what kind of initramfs you are familiar
36 > with, but mine has nothing network related, and I don't see *any*
37 > reason to include *anything* network related to an initramfs.
38
39 So your initramfs doesn't include network tools such as ping,
40 traceroute or wget. Fine. Fundamentally speaking, why shouldn't
41 someone else's?
44 >>> Because, besides, if your /usr is not in a different partition, you
45 >>> don't even *need* an initramfs. In that case not using an initramfs is
46 >>> supported by all upstreams.
47 >>
48 >> And what of /var? /opt?
49 >
50 > What about them? Again, what it has this anything to do with our
51 > current discussion?
52
53 See my reply to Michal.
56 >> The problem with the /usr merge upstream is
57 >> that someone didn't think things through when they pushed it, and the
58 >> same reasoning used to justify it easily justifies changing the way
59 >> /var and /opt are treated.
60 >
61 > That's pure speculation.
62
63 I'll repeat myself. If you take a step, you have momentum. Before you
64 take a step, you should see where that momentum will carry you.
65
66 > Nobody has ever suggested merging /opt nor
67 > /var; if I'm mistaken I would love to see even a single link (mail,
68 > blog post, IRC discussion) were it was at least mentioned as a good
69 > idea to do the same with /opt or /var. I'm pretty sure you don't have
70 > any.
71
72 I don't believe anyone *does* think it's a good idea, but I don't see
73 how the arguments on behalf of a /usr merge don't operate in the same
74 way on /var or /opt. If the argument is flawed for either of those
75 two, I don't see how it isn't equally flawed for /usr. I've never seen
76 where people have examined that in depth.
79 :wq