From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Opinion against /usr merge
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2012 19:21:38
1 On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 2:12 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 3:03 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 1:53 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >>> On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 2:47 PM, Alec Warner <antarus@g.o> wrote:
5 >> [snip]
6 >>>> Debian uses initramfs-tools...
7 >>>
8 >>> AFAIK, neither genkernel nor dracut were expected to get tied to the
9 >>> Gentoo update process. Has that changed?
10 >>
11 >> The kernel you are running (if you update your machine) is not tied to
12 >> the Gentoo update process. The *source code* gets installed, but the
13 >> kernel source remains unchanged in /usr/src/whatever. It's the user
14 >> responsibility to configure, compile, and install the kernel (and then
15 >> update LILO, grub-legacy or GRUB2). It can be automated with (ta-da)
16 >> genkernel, but it's not "tied to the Gentoo update process".
17 >>
18 >> I really don't see that much difference with needing to also update
19 >> the initramfs, if needed.
20 >
21 > What if your DNS resolver in your rescue shell has a vulnerability?
22 > What if wget, links or whatever network tools you use during recovery
23 > have a vulnerability?
24 >
25 > These are tools which are commonly placed in initramfs.
26
27 First of all, none of this has nothing to do with the discussion at
28 hand. Second, I don't know what kind of initramfs you are familiar
29 with, but mine has nothing network related, and I don't see *any*
30 reason to include *anything* network related to an initramfs.
31
32 >> Because, besides, if your /usr is not in a different partition, you
33 >> don't even *need* an initramfs. In that case not using an initramfs is
34 >> supported by all upstreams.
35 >
36 > And what of /var? /opt?
37
38 What about them? Again, what it has this anything to do with our
39 current discussion?
40
41 > The problem with the /usr merge upstream is
42 > that someone didn't think things through when they pushed it, and the
43 > same reasoning used to justify it easily justifies changing the way
44 > /var and /opt are treated.
45
46 That's pure speculation. Nobody has ever suggested merging /opt nor
47 /var; if I'm mistaken I would love to see even a single link (mail,
48 blog post, IRC discussion) were it was at least mentioned as a good
49 idea to do the same with /opt or /var. I'm pretty sure you don't have
50 any.
51
52 Regards.
53 --