From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins.daniel@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: EAPI spec (was Re: Re: let's clear things up (was Slacker archs))
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 08:45:34
1 On 2/21/07, Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@×××××××.org> wrote:
2 > I'm perfectly polite when I'm not replying to the dozenth deliberate
3 > attempt to derail something into which I have put a lot of effort...
4
5 Look, I don't want to waste everyone's time by dismantling in painful
6 detail the foolishness of what you just said, and how it is not an
7 adequate excuse for your behavior. Instead I'll just hit the key
8 points:
9
10 You can't just launch gratuitous insults at a developer when it
11 appears to be a helpful way to derail someone's totally valid
12 technical suggestions. This doesn't help Paludis, it doesn't help
13 Gentoo, it wastes your time - it helps NO ONE.
14
15 It's not just offensive to the person you just publicly humiliated,
16 but it's also a slap in the face to all of us who have put a lot of
17 work into making Gentoo a great and fun project to be a part of.
18
19 Frankly, it would also be a slap in the face if it turns out that no
20 one cares enough about the Gentoo community to remove you, and others
21 that behave like you, if there are any others, from our mailing lists.
22 Otherwise, a few are allowed to ruin the experience of all.
23
24 Also, talk about derailing Paludis - *your behavior* is what's
25 derailing the future of Paludis and making people uncomfortable with
26 your solo development style. I will not use Paludis, contribute to it,
27 or suggest that others use it simply because I don't like how you find
28 it so easy to shamelessly berate other people.
29
30 To have a successful open source project, you need to be at least
31 somewhat successful at getting along with people. You at least need to
32 try. You are not trying.
33
34 Also, Paludis looks like it is, overall, a well-designed
35 re-implementation of Portage, but I hope you don't think it's so
36 wonderful that you think you can act like a total jerk and expect the
37 project will be a long-term success. *No* project is that wonderful.
38 In fact, I would expect that the way you are acting will lead to
39 others working aggressively to try to ensure that Paludis becomes
40 irrelevant by the time it is completed. It's just human nature, and
41 human psychology and human nature typically drive open source
42 projects.
43
44 -Daniel
45 --