From: Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Make FEATURES=test the default
Date: Sat, 05 Aug 2006 13:26:16
1 On Sat, 2006-08-05 at 12:57 +0200, Kevin F. Quinn wrote:
2 > On Sat, 5 Aug 2006 11:49:53 +0200
3 > Danny van Dyk <kugelfang@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 > > Please re-read the list of packages that fail tests:
6 > > * glibc
7 > > * autoconf
8 > > * gettext
9 > > * tar
10 > > That makes _4_ system packages. Before I would consider making
11 > > FEATURES=test a default, I would add least want the system set to
12 > > actually merge with it.
13 >
14 > So you're happy to let users install these packages without them
15 > knowing the tests would fail?
16 >
17 > I certainly agree they should pass their tests. autoconf-2.60,
18 > gettext-0.15 and tar-1.15.1-r1, which are the latest versions I
19 > have installed here, all pass on my system. If they fail on your
20 > platform, then you should make sure bugs are open and the relevant
21 > maintainers are doing something about it, and IMO they should not go to
22 > arch (i.e. should remain ~arch) until the test issues are resolved.
23 >
24 > Thing is, at the moment you have a bunch of packages installed that
25 > fail their tests. This may mean the tests are broken, however it may
26 > also mean the packages are not working correctly on your system, and
27 > I'd be concerned if I were you.
28
29 With some arches this is not really an option. Also system pkgs such
30 like the toolchain need to have additional deps.
31
32 > Avoiding the test phase doesn't make
33 > the packages work, obviously.
34 >
35 > glibc is somewhat of a special case; it is especially sensitive to
36 > the environment - many of the tests assume a vanilla RedHat
37 > environment, and often the test failures in glibc are not actual
38 > problems with glibc but limitations of the test suite.
39
40 Sometimes the tests are flat out wrong.
41 Take for example say we decided to paxtest ran itself in as the test..
42 This would surely fail on amd64 as one or two of the tests assume page
43 sizes of 4096.
44
45 > However we
46 > should not be encouraging people to install glibc versions where the
47 > test failures are not understood.
48
49 The alternative would then become for the end user to use
50 another distro with less hassles. We would surely get the rep
51 of sucking if nobody could even install libc.
52
53 > Clearly if something in glibc is not
54 > behaving properly, the effects can be nasty.
55
56 Which for the most part is why features like
57 this should be opt-in vs opt-out or be left up
58 to the $ARCH teams.
59
60 A lot of people are opting in so most of these will be
61 fixed in due time.. The $ARCH teams *should* already be setting
62 this feature for the most part before stable markings.
63
64 It's a noble idea. I just don't think we are ready for
65 FEATURES=test && USE=test either.
69 Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
70 Gentoo Linux
73 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list