From: "Kevin F. Quinn" <kevquinn@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Make FEATURES=test the default
Date: Sat, 05 Aug 2006 11:00:55
1 On Sat, 5 Aug 2006 11:49:53 +0200
2 Danny van Dyk <kugelfang@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Please re-read the list of packages that fail tests:
5 > * glibc
6 > * autoconf
7 > * gettext
8 > * tar
9 > That makes _4_ system packages. Before I would consider making
10 > FEATURES=test a default, I would add least want the system set to
11 > actually merge with it.
12
13 So you're happy to let users install these packages without them
14 knowing the tests would fail?
15
16 I certainly agree they should pass their tests. autoconf-2.60,
17 gettext-0.15 and tar-1.15.1-r1, which are the latest versions I
18 have installed here, all pass on my system. If they fail on your
19 platform, then you should make sure bugs are open and the relevant
20 maintainers are doing something about it, and IMO they should not go to
21 arch (i.e. should remain ~arch) until the test issues are resolved.
22
23 Thing is, at the moment you have a bunch of packages installed that
24 fail their tests. This may mean the tests are broken, however it may
25 also mean the packages are not working correctly on your system, and
26 I'd be concerned if I were you. Avoiding the test phase doesn't make
27 the packages work, obviously.
28
29 glibc is somewhat of a special case; it is especially sensitive to
30 the environment - many of the tests assume a vanilla RedHat
31 environment, and often the test failures in glibc are not actual
32 problems with glibc but limitations of the test suite. However we
33 should not be encouraging people to install glibc versions where the
34 test failures are not understood. Clearly if something in glibc is not
35 behaving properly, the effects can be nasty.
38 Kevin F. Quinn