From: Benjamin Podszun <ben@××××××××××××××.de>
To: brad@××××××.com
Cc: "Robin H.Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>, Brian Jackson <brian@××××.com>, gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Performance once again..
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2003 22:36:20
On Sun, 2003-04-13 at 00:17, Brad Laue wrote:
> On Sat, 2003-04-12 at 17:46, Benjamin Podszun wrote: > > > You upgraded to Apache2? I guess (hope?) that you don't talk about > > production environments? I tried to use Apache2 with PHP twice and > > wouldn't recommend it to anyone.. It's just buggy and not usable. As my > > current Gentoo-Servers are.. *cough* > > Hardware configuration? Amount of RAM? Number of CPU's? What specific > revision of gentoo-sources? Have you tried vanilla-sources or alan cox's > patchset? What configuration options had you given the Debian kernel and > do they differ from those you gave to Gentoo's kernel?
Uhm.. I did post my hardware, but maybe it wasn't clear enough in all my messages. Compaq-Server, 2 1GHz CPUs, 2GB RAM, no special hardware, apart from Smart Arrays.. Vanilla-sources 2.4.20 Debian: vanilla 2.4.18, built with the "normal" way, no deb-package
> Have you tried 2.4.18 under Gentoo to see if it solves your problems?
Yes, no difference
> This isn't a matter of Debian working and Gentoo not working; there's a > configuration difference between the two, that's all.
Yes, I don't doubt it. But I copied the php.ini, apache-config-files and I don't see the difference. The only thing I see is that apache sucks up to 99% CPU (I don't know if it was the same on the Debian system, honestly) and the server stops responding to any requests while the load drops to ~ 0 .. Ben

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-dev] Performance once again.. Brad Laue <brad@××××××.com>