From: "Aaron W. Swenson" <titanofold@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Add "test" to IUSE_IMPLICIT
Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2013 01:38:57
1 On Sun, Feb 03, 2013 at 12:50:02AM +0100, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > On Sat, 2 Feb 2013 23:33:26 +0000
3 > "Aaron W. Swenson" <titanofold@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 > > After years of "if use test ; then ..." just working when
6 > > FEATURES="test" is declared, it isn't working with EAPI5.
7 >
8 > You shouldn't admit that for years you didn't knew that this was
9 > incorrect and you should have been using IUSE=test.
10
11 Let me rephrase that: Experience led me to 'FEATURE="test"' implies
12 'USE="test"' regardless of whether "test" is in IUSE or not.
13
14 Further, if I'm adding FEATURE="test", why wouldn't I also want
15 USE="test".
16
17 > > I think we could save some bytes and headaches if we just add "test"
18 > > to IUSE_IMPLICIT.
19 >
20 > First of all, you should note that you will still need to add IUSE=test
21 > to pre-EAPI 5 ebuilds.
22
23 Not need. Apparently supposed to have done that, though. As I said, it
24 has been working without it for years and only stopped when I used EAPI5.
25
26 > Secondly, what about all the ebuilds which declare IUSE=test in EAPI 5?
27 > Shall we remove that value from IUSE? Keep it?
30 "test" being in IUSE becomes moot. It wouldn't much matter whether
31 it's there or it isn't.
32
33 > What will be the impact on metadata? It seems that the PMS allows
34 > dependencies on IUSE_EFFECTIVE, so we can basically have dependencies
35 > with flags which are valid only on some of the profiles...
36
37 IUSE_EFFECTIVE is probably better.
40 Mr. Aaron W. Swenson
41 Gentoo Linux Developer
42 Email : titanofold@g.o
43 GnuPG FP : 2C00 7719 4F85 FB07 A49C 0E31 5713 AA03 D1BB FDA0
44 GnuPG ID : D1BBFDA0