From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Pre-GLEP RFC: Automated enforcing of REQUIRED_USE constraints
Date: Sat, 08 Jul 2017 21:31:24
1 On sob, 2017-07-08 at 20:58 +0200, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
2 > > > > > > On Sat, 08 Jul 2017, Michał Górny wrote:
3 > > On sob, 2017-07-08 at 12:26 +0200, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
4 > > > Section "Processing algorithm":
5 > > >
6 > > > > 2. Check whether the REQUIRED_USE constraint matches restrictions
7 > > > > set in #Restrictions on REQUIRED_USE format. If it does not, report
8 > > > > a REQUIRED_USE mismatch and abort.
9 > > >
10 > > > Why is this needed? This case should never occur if the REQUIRED_USE
11 > > > syntax doesn't allow it.
12 > > The syntax is restricted from the one allowed by the PMS. The
13 > > algorithm doesn't cover the weird deep nesting cases. Unless we want
14 > > to retroactively change PMS to disallow them as well, the spec needs
15 > > to clearly establish the acceptable input for the algorithm
16 > > presented.
17 >
18 > Sorry, but that makes no sense. Why would we introduce automatic
19 > solving with the next EAPI, but at the same time not restrict
20 > REQUIRED_USE syntax to the one the solver can handle?
23 Nobody said anything about the next EAPI. The GLEP doesn't say a word
24 about introducing it in a future EAPI.
25
26 We're adding this as an optional (default off) FEATURE into Portage
27 and we'll see how it works. As far as I'm concerned, we can enable it
28 for all EAPIs without touching PMS at all.
29
30 In fact, the GLEP points out that the PMS does not specifically define
31 how PMs are supposed to deal with ensuring that REQUIRED_USE is
32 satisfied. Failing with poor error messages is just established
33 historical Portage behavior. But if we get good test results
34 and majority agreement, I see no reason why we couldn't start enabling
35 it by default and eventually relying on it.
36
37 After all, it wouldn't be the first non-PMS extension that we accept for
38 user convenience yet do not require strictly.
39
40 Of course, if you think it should be made obligatory or at least
41 accounted for in a future EAPI, I have no problem with that. Ciaran
42 might, however.
45 Best regards,
46 Michał Górny