From: Michael Orlitzky <michael@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] XFCE needs help with maintaince of xfce-extra/ (at least temporary)
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2012 16:25:35
1 On 11/14/2012 06:17 AM, Peter Stuge wrote:
2 > Samuli Suominen wrote:
3 >> so unless you are willing to go that far as introducing yourself at the
4 >> xfce devel mailing list and accepting the mantle of upstream of them, we
5 >> are really stuck at this distribution level patching just like others
6 >
7 > That makes no sense to me. If you (not you specifically, the generic
8 > 'you') have patches then you push them upstream.
9 >
10 > 0 distribution patches would only be unrealistic because of some
11 > refusal to work with upstream.
12 >
13 > If you are doing some patching of XFCE then I think there is no
14 > difference as far as the code goes between doing it in a gentoo
15 > repository and doing it in the upstream repository.
18 I think you're reading past what he said. He needs help submitting
19 things upstream, so that they can be added to portage.
20
21 There are a lot of xfce extras which in reality are unmaintained. Other
22 distributions have patches for them to make them forward-compatible. The
23 right thing to do, as you pointed out, is submit these upstream. Samuli
24 wants help doing that.
25
26 Once they're upstream (at least in git/bugzilla), those patches can be
27 added to portage. Or if anyone takes over maintenance of the package,
28 merged upstream.
29
30 Having someone maintain the extras would of course be preferable, but
31 this is better than rolling our own patches independent of the other
32 distros.