From: Peter Stuge <peter@×××××.se>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] XFCE needs help with maintaince of xfce-extra/ (at least temporary)
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2012 11:18:17
1 Samuli Suominen wrote:
2 > so unless you are willing to go that far as introducing yourself at the
3 > xfce devel mailing list and accepting the mantle of upstream of them, we
4 > are really stuck at this distribution level patching just like others
5
6 That makes no sense to me. If you (not you specifically, the generic
7 'you') have patches then you push them upstream.
8
9 0 distribution patches would only be unrealistic because of some
10 refusal to work with upstream.
11
12 If you are doing some patching of XFCE then I think there is no
13 difference as far as the code goes between doing it in a gentoo
14 repository and doing it in the upstream repository.
15
16 I'm both upstream and user (but neither for XFCE). It is really f-ing
17 annoying as upstream to have to go hunting for patches in
18 distributions. If noone else has an interest in a given plugin and
19 you are patching it, then guess what; you are already de facto
20 upstream.
21
22 If others in other distributions also share the interest in the
23 plugin then there is clearly a community of contributors.
24
25 An other arrangement than that such community works together in
26 a canonical (not the company) upstream repository seems like fail.
29 //Peter