From: Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] XFCE needs help with maintaince of xfce-extra/ (at least temporary)
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2012 10:44:09
1 On 14/11/12 12:36, Peter Stuge wrote:
2 > Samuli Suominen wrote:
3 >> I'm just afraid our XFCE port gets lagged behind because of this as
4 >> compared to other distros ...
5 >
6 > I am, as you know, a strong proponent of doing things right, rather
7 > than doing them fast.
8 >
9 > In this case that means that it is not the end of the world if Gentoo
10 > ebuilds do not have every single patch found in other distributions.
11 >
12 > It also means that if I had strong interest in XFCE then I would work
13 > on getting patches from other distribution upstream, so that Gentoo
14 > did not need to have any patches at all.
15
16 unrealistic as all the plugins listed here have no upstream, as in, bugs
17 get filed at bugzilla.xfce.org and plugins are not marked as obsolete in
18 git...
19 but they still have next to nobody looking after them. only translations
20 get submitted through automated process
21
22 so unless you are willing to go that far as introducing yourself at the
23 xfce devel mailing list and accepting the mantle of upstream of them, we
24 are really stuck at this distribution level patching just like others
25
26 Xfce 4.12 is on it's way and does not have libxfcegui4, as in,
27 pre-releases are for nearly every core component of pre-4.12 are out
28
29 - Samuli