From: Christopher Head <chead@×××××.ca>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Reverse use of Python/Ruby versions
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2017 17:58:37
1 On April 9, 2017 7:04:13 PM PDT, "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com> wrote:
2 >The present system is a PITA for users. Fiddling with adding/removing
3 >targets for Python/Ruby.
4
5 As an ordinary user, that does sound like a real annoyance. As an ordinary user, I also never do it. I don’t have any targets set by hand. I probably never will. And yes, I do some Python development myself (not much packaging but “using” Python in the sense of writing Python code). I find the Python experience largely painless: I currently have 2.7.12 and 3.4.5 installed. Eventually 3.5 will get installed and 3.4 will go away. Just like every other package. I won’t need to do any config file editing, just a revdep-rebuild run perhaps. So regardless of the situation for maintainers, as a user, I don’t see this pain.
8 Christopher Head