From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Reverse use of Python/Ruby versions
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2017 18:12:30
1 On Mon, 10 Apr 2017 10:58:10 -0700
2 Christopher Head <chead@×××××.ca> wrote:
3
4 > On April 9, 2017 7:04:13 PM PDT, "William L. Thomson Jr."
5 > <wlt-ml@××××××.com> wrote:
6 > >The present system is a PITA for users. Fiddling with adding/removing
7 > >targets for Python/Ruby.
8 >
9 > As an ordinary user, that does sound like a real annoyance. As an
10 > ordinary user, I also never do it. I don’t have any targets set by
11 > hand. I probably never will.
12
13 This is why it is not an issue for you. Your basically saying I do not
14 care what version of Python is on my system. I do not care how many
15 versions of python.
16
17 I mentioned in a post, doing a wildcard on the targets being the ONLY
18 painless option for users.
19
20 > And yes, I do some Python development
21 > myself (not much packaging but “using” Python in the sense of writing
22 > Python code). I find the Python experience largely painless: I
23 > currently have 2.7.12 and 3.4.5 installed.
24
25 Are you running stable? There are other versions in tree. 3.4, 3.5,
26 3.6. If you were running unstable, you would have 4 pythons, including
27 2.7. That you only have 2 seems like you are running stable.
28
29 If your writing new python code against say 3.4 and not 3.6. Not sure
30 about that... Seems like it would keep things bound to older versions
31 and never let things move forward.
32
33 Usually when writing new code, you use the latest version of stuff. Not
34 always but usually best. If anything make code support older while
35 targeting newer.
36
37 > Eventually 3.5 will get
38 > installed and 3.4 will go away. Just like every other package. I
39 > won’t need to do any config file editing, just a revdep-rebuild run
40 > perhaps. So regardless of the situation for maintainers, as a user, I
41 > don’t see this pain.
42
43 Because you are not setting or dealing with the targets. You went with
44 the mindless approach. Like doing a wildcard on USE flags.
45
46 Your enabling support for all versions across the board for anything
47 that supports it. That is quite a different experience if you go trying
48 to use a specific one.
51 William L. Thomson Jr.