From: "Vadim A. Misbakh-Soloviov" <gentoo@×××.name>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Reverse use of Python/Ruby versions
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2017 20:11:21
1 > painless option for users.
2
3 Well... If a bit of mind work is pain... So, then I'd say that Gentoo is not
4 about avoiding such pain.
5
6 Did you hear about Gentoo Philosophy?
7
8 It says that point of Gentoo to appear was to give users possibility to make
9 exact "tool" they wants to use, but not decide anything for them.
10
11 So, if a person wants to avoid thinking about some aspect of the system
12 maintenance, then Gentoo is not recommended for this person and the person
13 should consider to use some distro made by "Big Fat Corporations" (like
14 Ubuntu, Fedora/RHEL, SuSE and whatever). They're very like to dictate what and
15 how should user do, and what should not. And there is all that things already
16 decided by BigBro's and users should not take care of any of that.
19 I can't understand people who refuse to get as complete knowledge as possible
20 about tools/instruments they using (including OS).
21
22 Would you learn how does a hammer work before applying it to the nails? Or do
23 you say "The only painless option for users is to make it spheric" instead?
24
25 And same for Gentoo: if you want to use something — please, consider to get a
26 bit knowledge about how do it working. And it will be huge karma bonus for
27 you, if you'll research the reasons why did it done in that way, and not
28 another before complaining (why did wheels invented to be round, but not
29 square? Square wheels are more stable on a flat surface, while round ones
30 makes wagon to constantly move, while I loading my baggage on it).
31
32 I mean: most of the time, if you having trouble with something, it is most
33 likely *you* (not you personally, but some abastract Freud-ish "you") doing
34 something wrong, then the tool you're using is badly designed. And if you
35 dislike the tool's design, you're free to take analogous tool from the rivals
36 (and take that one you'd like).
39 Thanks for attention,
40 wbr, mva