From: Jason Zaman <perfinion@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Make manifest signatures mandatory for repoman commit
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2015 09:58:14
1 On Wed, Apr 15, 2015 at 12:27:08PM +0300, Andrew Savchenko wrote:
2 > On Wed, 15 Apr 2015 11:06:22 +0200 Michał Górny wrote:
3 > > Dnia 2015-04-15, o godz. 11:59:12
4 > > Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o> napisał(a):
5 > >
6 > > > Hi,
7 > > >
8 > > > why manifest signatures are still optional for repoman?
9 > > >
10 > > > Repoman signatures are currently optional and this creates nasty
11 > > > consequences: if signing errors occurs, repoman still proceeds :/
12 > > >
13 > > > I just had a phone call during repoman commit and was not able to
14 > > > type my password. Due to gpg-agent timeout repoman completed commit
15 > > > without a signature :( Should signatures be mandatory, repoman will
16 > > > bail out on such conditions and devs can recommit again safely.
17 > >
18 > > This is problem with the CVS two-commit procedure. The only solution is
19 > > to stop using CVS keywords which people don't want to do because THEY
20 > > ARE SO VERY USEFUL.
21 > >
22 > > Or make repoman do first commit without Manifest, so instead of
23 > > unsigned Manifest you'd have Manifest failure.
24 >
25 > Is there any way to commit manifest first, then the rest of the
26 > files? Of course there may be a network failure in-between, but
27 > this should easily fixable with one more repoman commit run.
28
29 no. the problem is that all the files change when they are committed.
30 the $ Header: xxxxx $ line has the commit time and stuff. so the two
31 phase first commits all the ebuilds and everything then when the lines
32 are fixed it re-makes the manifest and commits.
33
34 I dont think it can be fixed without getting rid of the $Header$ line.
35 I'd be all for it, those lines seem like more trouble than its worth to me.
36
37 -- Jason