From: "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Re: [gentoo-dev] metadata.xml un<herd/>-ization, v2
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2014 16:21:15
1 > > As far as I know the typical way to edit metadata.xml files for all of us
2 > > is still by hand in a text editor, and I prefer a lot typing
3 > >
4 > > <herd>kde</herd>
5 > >
6 > > over
7 > >
8 > > <maintainer type="herd">kde</maintainer>
9 >
10 > <maintainer type="herd">
11 > <email>kde@g.o</email>
12 > <name>Lovely KDE herd</name>
13 > </maintainer>
14 >
15 > to be more precise.
16
17 Ugh. Even more ugly stuff from the department of redundancy department.
18
19 (Yeah usually I just copy an existing file too...)
20
21 Keep it simple. The only result of stuffing more and more requirements into
22 auxiliary files is that noone will fill them out completely.
23
24 > 1. valid <email/> is much more useful than semi-ambiguous <herd/>,
25 >
26 > 2. bug assignment in order is simpler than magical rules like
27 > 'maintainer first, herd second unless description says otherwise',
28 >
29 > 3. herds.xml is global, metadata.xml is per-repo.
30 >
31 > Many of us *read* metadata.xml via cat or simple text editor, and don't
32 > want to be forced to use slow tools like 'equery' to make
33 > semi-meaningful output out of it.
34
35 So the solution is to duplicate all information into every package directory.
36 Great.
37
38 (And if I want to send an e-mail to the postgresql team I still have to figure
39 out how their alias looks like or find a package that they maintain first.)
40
41 Why not instead come up with a new set of rules (and maybe new tags) that
42 simplify?
43 As example, scratch <herd/>, add <project/> with a 1:1 transformation of
44 argument to mail address.
45 As example, always assign bugs to first entry.
50 Andreas K. Huettel
51 Gentoo Linux developer
52 kde, council