From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] metadata.xml un<herd/>-ization, v2
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2014 16:02:48
1 Dnia 2014-12-09, o godz. 16:49:24
2 "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o> napisał(a):
3
4 > Am Dienstag 09 Dezember 2014, 00:46:28 schrieb Michał Górny:
5 > > 2. Convert <herd/> to <maintainer type="herd"/>,
6 >
7 > Could any <person type="developer"/> please explain to me why this additional
8 > xmlfication is of any <improvement type="nonzero"/>?
9 >
10 > As far as I know the typical way to edit metadata.xml files for all of us is
11 > still by hand in a text editor, and I prefer a lot typing
12 >
13 > <herd>kde</herd>
14 >
15 > over
16 >
17 > <maintainer type="herd">kde</maintainer>
18
19 <maintainer type="herd">
20 <email>kde@g.o</email>
21 <name>Lovely KDE herd</name>
22 </maintainer>
23
24 to be more precise.
25
26 This was already explained in my previous thread. Because:
27
28 1. valid <email/> is much more useful than semi-ambiguous <herd/>,
29
30 2. bug assignment in order is simpler than magical rules like
31 'maintainer first, herd second unless description says otherwise',
32
33 3. herds.xml is global, metadata.xml is per-repo.
34
35 Many of us *read* metadata.xml via cat or simple text editor, and don't
36 want to be forced to use slow tools like 'equery' to make
37 semi-meaningful output out of it. And I believe reading happens much
38 more often than writing.
39
40 That said, vim starts with useful template for metadata.xml. It's easy
41 to copy <maintainer/> element and fill in different e-mail addresses.
42 I'd honestly drop the whole type="" but a few developers insist on
43 keeping the extra disambiguation.
46 Best regards,
47 Michał Górny