From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Fixing eclass code relying on ${IUSE} greps?
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2011 20:12:23
On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 16:03, Michał Górny wrote:
> Well, the other thing is IUSE=static-libs. I don't like it either but > this is probably a bigger case than the other. > > The main resolution as I see it, is to simply drop IUSE=static-libs > from a lot of ebuilds where static libs aren't actually required by > anything or anyone.
no ... the current policy (and i see no reason to change it) is: - always build shared and static libs - always build shared libs and control static libs via USE=static-libs so if the library can be statically linked against, the ebuild needs to support it. a valid test is not "does any other package in the tree want to link against this", nor is "i dont want static libs, and i cant find anyone who does". most people dont want to do static linking most of the time, but that number is not 0. -mike