From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC pre-GLEP] Gentoo Git Workflow
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2017 20:29:38
1 On Tue, Jul 25, 2017 at 12:12 PM, Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o> wrote:
2 > On 07/25/2017 09:23 AM, Michał Górny wrote:
3 >>
4 >> How is that relevant? Revision bumps are merely a tool to encourage
5 >> 'automatic' rebuilds of packages during @world upgrade. I can't think of
6 >> a single use case where somebody would actually think it sane to
7 >> checkout one commit after another, and run @world upgrade in the middle
8 >> of it.
11 > Revisions are to indicate that one incarnation of a package differs from
12 > another in a way that the user or package manager might care about. And
13 > on principal, it's no business of yours what people want to do with
14 > their tree. If someone wants to check out successive commits and emerge
15 > @world, he's within his rights to do so.
16
17 I don't feel I should be obligated by policy to support this use case.
18 One revbump per push seems sufficiently safe for 99.9% of users.
19
20 If you want to do more revbumps, you are free to do so.