From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC pre-GLEP] Gentoo Git Workflow
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2017 16:12:38
1 On 07/25/2017 09:23 AM, Michał Górny wrote:
2 >
3 > How is that relevant? Revision bumps are merely a tool to encourage
4 > 'automatic' rebuilds of packages during @world upgrade. I can't think of
5 > a single use case where somebody would actually think it sane to
6 > checkout one commit after another, and run @world upgrade in the middle
7 > of it.
10 Revisions are to indicate that one incarnation of a package differs from
11 another in a way that the user or package manager might care about. And
12 on principal, it's no business of yours what people want to do with
13 their tree. If someone wants to check out successive commits and emerge
14 @world, he's within his rights to do so.
15
16 This is relevant because your proposed policy,
17
18 * presumes to know how people will use the tree, and places arbitrary
19 restrictions on them
20
21 * can cause problems if those assumptions don't hold
22
23 * requires developers to think about when it's safe to push (Did I
24 push those changes last night? Do I need another revision?)
25
26 * and is more complicated than the safe solution, anyway
27
28 Here's my proposal regarding revisions:
29
30 If you make a commit that requires a revision, make a revision.
31
32 If you wind up with an -r15 in the tree, who cares? It's simpler, safer,
33 and less to think about.