From: "Tiziano Müller" <dev-zero@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Some ideas on how to reduce territoriality
Date: Sat, 04 Aug 2007 19:38:20
1 Chris Gianelloni schrieb:
2 > - arch-specific patches/dependencies - If someone is requesting KEYWORD
3 > changes on a package and it requires a patch or additional dependencies
4 > for your architecture, you are not only permitted, but really are
5 > required to make the necessary changes to add support for your
6 > architecture.
7 And what is going to happen with the patch? Should go upstream, but
8 who's responsible for that?
9
10 > - Typo fixes
11 > - SRC_URI changes - If the source has moved, feel free to fix it. We
12 > shouldn't have to wait on the maintainer to fix something this simple.
13 This isn't simple. I know a couple of packages where there's more than
14 one upstream and there might be a good reason to not use the original
15 one. But I admit that this is corner case.
16
17 > - metadata.xml changes
18 With limitations.
19
20 > - Version bumps where the only requirement is to "cp" the ebuild
21 Just "cp"'ing the ebuilds is the reason that so many ebuilds are still a
22 nightmare and full of little nasty bugs.
23
24 This is a complete no-go since there are so many things a careful
25 maintainer has to consider (besides checking the packages changelog, the
26 dependencies, the license, the docs, etc. he should also check the ebuild).
27
28 Cheers,
29 Tiziano
32 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list