From: Steve Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Some ideas on how to reduce territoriality
Date: Sun, 05 Aug 2007 00:37:29
1 Tiziano Müller wrote:
2
3 > Chris Gianelloni schrieb:
4 >> - arch-specific patches/dependencies - If someone is requesting KEYWORD
5 >> changes on a package and it requires a patch or additional dependencies
6 >> for your architecture, you are not only permitted, but really are
7 >> required to make the necessary changes to add support for your
8 >> architecture.
9 > And what is going to happen with the patch? Should go upstream, but
10 > who's responsible for that?
11 >
12 Er, the maintainer; if s/he's not bothered about the package compiling on
13 different archs, should s/he really be maintaining it? I doubt upstream
14 would appreciate that from a distro -- and it's not hard to file a quick
15 bug with a link to the gentoo one; a quick comment on the gentoo one and
16 any interested users can help upstream to triage it.
17
18 >> - metadata.xml changes
19 > With limitations.
20 >
21 Maintainer sounds like a definite no-no. Any others?
22
23 >> - Version bumps where the only requirement is to "cp" the ebuild
24 > Just "cp"'ing the ebuilds is the reason that so many ebuilds are still a
25 > nightmare and full of little nasty bugs.
26 >
27 > This is a complete no-go since there are so many things a careful
28 > maintainer has to consider (besides checking the packages changelog, the
29 > dependencies, the license, the docs, etc. he should also check the
30 > ebuild).
31 >
32 Yeah but if they can compile it and it works as an app (however that's
33 defined, this /is/ usr-land) what's the harm in bumping and allowing others
34 to test it? (This is unstable, I hope..) If they can't be bothered to do
35 that, how can they possibly claim to be testing it? (And why are they even
36 touching it if they're not interested? ;) [I dunno how make test fits into
37 this, either, as tests were broken for synfig.]
38
39 If the maintainer doesn't like it, well s/he's already got the new version
40 working on one arch/ machine (plus whichever user bugged the dev.) I can't
41 see anyone really bemoaning a new tester ;P
45 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list