From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Why don't you just ...
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 03:05:51
1 Matthias Langer wrote:
2 >
3 > Well, I don't know what your problem really is about; I'm running x86,
4 > and if something breaks on my system, it's mostly not because of broken
5 > packages, but because I should have been informed about possible issues
6 > that could have been caused by an upgrade, and how to avoid them. Often,
7 > ebuilds contain very important information that are brought to the user
8 > via elog, ewarn and friends. The problem with this approach is, that I
9 > won't read these messages if I'm doing a world update while I'm asleep.
10 > This is, why I think, that it should be one of Gentoos highest
11 > priorities to implement Glep 42 and make heavy use of it.
12 >
13 > Matthias
14
15 Your post brings up an interesting concept; that Gentoo is both a
16 repository of ebuilds and is also a distribution of packages.
17
18 Providing ebuilds for X number of packages is a nice thing and if you
19 complain about Gentoo being too large and too undivided you could devide
20 the work there. Maintaining a set of packages involves writing ebuilds.
21
22 Maintaining a distribution involves much more work; I think for some
23 it's not exactly the work they are interested in and it is the place
24 where most of the....friction? lies.
25
26 Random-dev doesn't care about 'gentoo' so much as he cares that his
27 packages are working/(up to date) and 'gentoo' more or less works ok
28 given his knowledge of it's internals.
29
30 Or am I way off here?
31
32 There are many devs that have all kinds of opinions about a distro and
33 how it is set up; but I think there are very few people who have
34 thoughts about how to create and maintain a meta-distro.
35
36 PS: If there is a better list for this please point me there.
37
38 -Alec
39 --
40 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list