From: Matthias Langer <mlangc@×××.at>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Why don't you just ...
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 02:52:01
1 On Wed, 2007-04-11 at 13:26 +1200, Christopher Sawtell wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 11 April 2007 10:56:40 Benedikt Boehm wrote:
3 > > ... don't care about an uber-vision or direction and just keep your
4 > > friggin packages alive and working?
5 > Indeed!!
6 >
7 > Doing an emerge --deep --update world last week b0rked updating about a
8 > couple of dozen packages. Evenutally I realized that the problem was
9 > gcc-4.1.2 had a supposedly executable file filled with zeros in its
10 > file-set. Masking gcc-4.1.2 and reverting to the 4.1.1 series has nearly
11 > got me going again.There is still one package which won't compile.
12 > OK I'm running ~x86 so I suppose I shouldn't complain, but
13 > This whole exercise, combined with the flame fests in here, has left me, a
14 > Gentoo user for many years, since version 1.2, feeling very upset and
15 > distinctly fiesty. Until the QA is a bit better I honestly feel I can't
16 > wholeheartedly recommend Gentoo anymore.
19 Well, I don't know what your problem really is about; I'm running x86,
20 and if something breaks on my system, it's mostly not because of broken
21 packages, but because I should have been informed about possible issues
22 that could have been caused by an upgrade, and how to avoid them. Often,
23 ebuilds contain very important information that are brought to the user
24 via elog, ewarn and friends. The problem with this approach is, that I
25 won't read these messages if I'm doing a world update while I'm asleep.
26 This is, why I think, that it should be one of Gentoos highest
27 priorities to implement Glep 42 and make heavy use of it.
28
29 Matthias
34 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list