From: Christopher Sawtell <csawtell@××××××××××××.nz>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Why don't you just ...
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 01:29:37
1 On Wednesday 11 April 2007 10:56:40 Benedikt Boehm wrote:
2 > ... don't care about an uber-vision or direction and just keep your
3 > friggin packages alive and working?
4 Indeed!!
5
6 Doing an emerge --deep --update world last week b0rked updating about a
7 couple of dozen packages. Evenutally I realized that the problem was
8 gcc-4.1.2 had a supposedly executable file filled with zeros in its
9 file-set. Masking gcc-4.1.2 and reverting to the 4.1.1 series has nearly
10 got me going again.There is still one package which won't compile.
11 OK I'm running ~x86 so I suppose I shouldn't complain, but
12 This whole exercise, combined with the flame fests in here, has left me, a
13 Gentoo user for many years, since version 1.2, feeling very upset and
14 distinctly fiesty. Until the QA is a bit better I honestly feel I can't
15 wholeheartedly recommend Gentoo anymore.
16
17 > I'm so sick to hear people crying that noone is around to tell them what
18 > to do..
19
20 Well I'm sick of seeing people wasting their precious time playing politics,
21 misunderstanding eachother and flaming as a consequence.
22
23 > So here is my proposal:
24 >
25 > ABSTAIN!