From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: slyfox@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] /etc/resolv.conf symlink through net-dns/resolvconf-symlink
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2011 10:43:59
1 On Wed, 10 Aug 2011 13:37:30 +0300
2 Sergei Trofimovich <slyfox@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Wed, 10 Aug 2011 11:55:19 +0200
5 > Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
6 >
7 > > Hello,
8 > >
9 > > Many modern systems have their /etc/resolv.conf files autogenerated
10 > > at runtime with DHCP, PPP or so on. Thus, storing that file in /etc
11 > > seems no longer correct as that directory may be mounted read-only.
12 >
13 > While i don't disagree on that move i'm suspocious about the
14 > whole /etc/ ro mode. I don't think it's usable right now. Is your
15 > main goal to make it working by default?
16
17 I would really like to do so but I don't think I have enough power to
18 do so. Right now, I'm running one machine with read-only root and
19 resolv.conf was the only really problematic file for it.
20
21 > [assuming it is] What is the plan of other volatile stuff in /etc?
22 > - /etc/mtab
23
24 I personally symlink it to /proc/mounts as I don't need additional
25 features it provides.
26
27 > - /etc/mtab.fuselock
28
29 Never heard of this one. But I guess it's FUSE-specific and thus easy
30 to move. I guess you can open a bugreport for it.
31
32 > - /etc/blkid*
33
34 That one's udev specific? I guess it could be moved as well.
35
36 > - /etc/adjtime?
37
38 I was never sure what this is for. Does it really need to be updated
39 randomly during runtime or once is enough?
40
41 > Move to /var for default setup as well?
42
43 I'd personally prefer /run instead of /var for things that aren't
44 supposed to last longer than for a single boot.
47 Best regards,
48 Michał Górny