From: Sergei Trofimovich <slyfox@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] /etc/resolv.conf symlink through net-dns/resolvconf-symlink
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2011 11:25:49
1 > > > Many modern systems have their /etc/resolv.conf files autogenerated
2 > > > at runtime with DHCP, PPP or so on. Thus, storing that file in /etc
3 > > > seems no longer correct as that directory may be mounted read-only.
4 > >
5 > > While i don't disagree on that move i'm suspocious about the
6 > > whole /etc/ ro mode. I don't think it's usable right now. Is your
7 > > main goal to make it working by default?
8 >
9 > I would really like to do so but I don't think I have enough power to
10 > do so. Right now, I'm running one machine with read-only root and
11 > resolv.conf was the only really problematic file for it.
12
13 Ah, i see.
14
15 > > - /etc/blkid*
16 >
17 > That one's udev specific? I guess it could be moved as well.
18
19 It's a blkid(8) cache to mount stuff by uuid/label and guess FS.
20 Used at least by udev rules and stuff linked against libblkid (fsck.*).
21 Both can be triggered at any time later after boot.
22 blkid(8) can work w/o cache.
23
24 > > - /etc/adjtime?
25 >
26 > I was never sure what this is for. Does it really need to be updated
27 > randomly during runtime or once is enough?
28
29 It's saved/restored by hwclock(8) when system shutdowns/starts.
30 In theory hwclock can be reran time to time on running system,
31 but i don't think it's common. In-kernel copy of clock skew is expected
32 to be maintained by ntp-alike daemon.
36 Sergei