From: Spider <spider@g.o>
To: Collins <erichey2@×××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] gentoo & fhs
Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2002 20:51:26
1 begin quote
2 On Mon, 1 Jul 2002 19:06:27 -0600
3 Collins <erichey2@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 > It sounds a lot like ex-president Clinton - "It depends on the meaning
6 > of is."
7 he.
10 > What does the term "add on" mean? Isn't every package other the the
11 > kernel, gnu stuff, etc. an "add on"?
14 in our case, what is not locally compiled through portage is considered
15 an "add-on" that means things like JDK's, Opera, OpenOffice-bin,
16 Netscape 4.x and other binary-only applications.
17
18 emerge's go as "system" since the emerge command specifies that this
19 should be part of your installation, and it is something we provide with
20 our OS, not an "add-on" to it.
21
22 fex. A user can bootstrap, then just "emerge kde" and have a fully
23 functional (supposedly) system.
26 I've cc'd the list because this is relevant to them, please do the same
27 in the future.
30 //Spider
31
32 > --
33 > Collins Richey - Denver Area - WWTLRD?
34 > gentoo(since 01/01/01) 2.4.18+(ext3) xfce-sylpheed-mozilla
38 begin .signature
39 This is a .signature virus! Please copy me into your .signature!
41 end