From: Collins <erichey2@×××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o, gentoo <gentoo-user@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] gentoo & fhs
Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2002 21:38:20
1 On Tue, 2 Jul 2002 03:47:31 +0200 Spider <spider@g.o> wrote:
2 > begin quote
3 > On Mon, 1 Jul 2002 19:06:27 -0600
4 > Collins <erichey2@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > >
6 > > It sounds a lot like ex-president Clinton - "It depends on the
7 > > meaning of is."
8 > he.
11 > > What does the term "add on" mean? Isn't every package other the
12 > > the kernel, gnu stuff, etc. an "add on"?
15 > in our case, what is not locally compiled through portage is
16 > considered an "add-on" that means things like JDK's, Opera,
17 > OpenOffice-bin, Netscape 4.x and other binary-only applications.
18 >
19 > emerge's go as "system" since the emerge command specifies that this
20 > should be part of your installation, and it is something we provide
21 > with our OS, not an "add-on" to it.
22 >
23 > fex. A user can bootstrap, then just "emerge kde" and have a fully
24 > functional (supposedly) system.
27 > I've cc'd the list because this is relevant to them, please do the
28 > same in the future.
29
30 OK, that much is clear. So how do you resolve /usr/kde/2 ... with the
31 prohibition you've cited?
32
33 "Large software packages must not use a direct subdirectory under the
34 /usr hierarchy."
37 Collins Richey - Denver Area - WWTLRD?
38 gentoo(since 01/01/01) 2.4.18+(ext3) xfce-sylpheed-mozilla