From: Alexander Gretencord <tharkun@×××.de>
To: Collins <erichey2@×××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o, gentoo <gentoo-user@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] gentoo & fhs
Date: Tue, 02 Jul 2002 07:03:03
1 Collins wrote:
2
3 >OK, that much is clear. So how do you resolve /usr/kde/2 ... with the
4 >prohibition you've cited?
5 >
6 >"Large software packages must not use a direct subdirectory under the
7 >/usr hierarchy."
11 I've talked about this to a gentoo dev too. The problem is that gentoo
12 considers everything that's not binary-only part of the system (I think
13 that's ok by the definition as they "ship" that software with their
14 distribution (if you made a cd)).
15
16 That sentence about "no subdirs in /usr" makes the situation difficult
17 for gentoo. /usr/local is for the local administrator so gentoo can't
18 install there, gentoo has a rule that only binary packages get into
19 /opt, but /opt is the only part of the filesystem that subdirs are
20 allowed in for individual packages according to the fhs. And you can
21 really understand why one wouldn't want to have gnome or kde installed
22 directly into /usr (which would be the only gentoo+fhs compliant solution).
23
24 Can anyone lighten me up on why there should be no subdirs in /usr ?
25
26 Alex