From: Mikael Hallendal <hallski@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] various ebuild problems
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 10:53:07
1 ons 2001-10-24 klockan 16.42 skrev Damon M. Conway:
2 > >IMHO Skipstone is a real waste of efforts (anything that are developing
3 > >GTK+-only for the reason that they don't want to depend on GNOME are).
4 >
5 > Actually, if Skipstone was more stable, I'd use it. I hate having to run
6 > gnome in the background just to get a stupid web browser. I can't stand
7 > galeon for that reason even tho I'm very enamoured with it's features.
8
9 Gah!
10
11 You don't have to _RUN_ anything in the background. You link to
12 gnome-libs just as you link against libc or any other lib. Galeon uses
13 ORBit (which is an ORB, it isn't GNOME) just as any other package using
14 CORBA would use an ORB.
15
16 Saying that a package is bloated and such things just because it uses
17 gnome-libs (or kde-libs or any other library) is just pure crap. It's
18 many times the otherway around since the libraries are tested and
19 probably more optimized than the app-writers own implementation.
20
21 So... you don't have to run "GNOME" (ie. gnome-session/gnome-panel) in
22 the background, you just have to link against the libraries.
23
24 Regards,
25 Mikael Hallendal
29 Mikael Hallendal
30 Gentoo Linux Developer, Desktop Team Leader
31 CodeFactory AB, Stockholm, Sweden