From: "Damon M. Conway" <damon@×××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] various ebuild problems
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 11:11:57
1 >You don't have to _RUN_ anything in the background. You link to
2 >gnome-libs just as you link against libc or any other lib. Galeon uses
3 >ORBit (which is an ORB, it isn't GNOME) just as any other package using
4 >CORBA would use an ORB.
5
6 Ok, that's not how it was explained to me.
7
8 >Saying that a package is bloated and such things just because it uses
9 >gnome-libs (or kde-libs or any other library) is just pure crap. It's
10 >many times the otherway around since the libraries are tested and
11 >probably more optimized than the app-writers own implementation.
12
13 I never said it was bloated, I said I didn't want gnome running. I was
14 under the impression that gnome apps require pieces of gnome to be running.
15 Much like konqueror, which actually starts kde, but doesn't bring up the
16 window manager functions.
17
18 >So... you don't have to run "GNOME" (ie. gnome-session/gnome-panel) in
19 >the background, you just have to link against the libraries.
20
21 Well, if I could actually emerge galeon, I'd check. I guess I'll try and
22 figure out why galeon thinks I don't have Gnome ver >=1.2.8 installed.
23
24 kabau
27 "UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because that
28 would also stop you from doing clever things." --Doug Gwyn