From: Michal Hrusecky <miska@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: Michal Hrusecky <miska@g.o>, hkBst@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] obs eclasses
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2011 08:19:58

Marijn -  9:35 15.09.11 wrote:
> Hi Michal, > > On 09/14/11 10:56, Michal Hrusecky wrote: > > Hi, > > > > new versions of eclasses after hopefully fixing most of the > > comments. > > > > The download eclass speaks about ``openSUSE Build Service'' while the > other calls it the ``Open Build Service''. I note that the command > line tool dev-util/osc also speaks about ``Open Build Service''.
Things are a little bit complicated. Once upon a time, there were some people unhappy with the process of building packages for SUSE/openSUSE and they created server application and called it "openSUSE Build Service". As "openSUSE Build Service" is quite a long name, everybody started calling it just 'obs'. Even developers themselves. As obs supported building packages for many distributions and was open source, some other companies and organizations started using it (for example Meego). Some didn't even know what 'obs' stands for and assumed, that 'o' is for 'Open'. But some other knew and was reluctant to use it because of openSUSE in it's name. So it got renamed to 'Open Build Service' (so the 'obs' abbreviation will still work). But the original first running publicly available instance is still called 'openSUSE Build Service'. So we've got a software, which is called "Open Build Service" and tools like dev-util/osc and it's plugins (obs services - what is second eclass intended for) that works with any instance. And we've got "openSUSE Build Service" which is basically server running Open Build Service :-D And as some SUSE guys are lazy to be a good upstream, they publish some source code and packages just through the openSUSE Build Service (that's what is the first eclass good for).
> Others have remarked on this, but could you please explain why there > are (going to be) ebuilds that don't/cannot use the full eclass? What > numbers are we talking about?
Currently, there are two more ebuilds that can make a use of obs-download.eclass: 'dev-util/osc' and 'dev-util/suse-build'. It is not that much of code duplication, but I think it could make ebuilds more readable.
> How about using open-build-service in the name of the eclass(es)?
I personally dislike long file names and obs is well known abbreviation (in my google search, second link is and first which also list OBS as Open Build Service), although a little bit ambiguous. If it would be hard requirement for getting them in, I would consider expanding the 'obs', but personally I would prefer not to.
> Finally, has this seen any testing in an overlay?

Subject Author
[gentoo-dev] Re: [RFC] obs eclasses Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>