From: Joshua Pollak <pardsbane@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Proposed Issuetracker via PEST
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 10:35:14
1 > > In summary, usability is far and away the most important thing
2 > > in a bug tracking/issue tracking system, and a objective analysis
3 > > is probably in order.
4
5 I agree usability is the most important issue, which is why I thought
6 PEST was the best solution of the ones I could find. I had not heard of
7 Roundup, gnats, or rt, but I'll check them out. I think Bugzilla and
8 Debbugs both have serious usability issues. They are both very confusing
9 to use and just plain messy and ugly.
10
11 Perhaps the simplified bugzilla interface is cleaner and easier to use,
12 but why subject end users to a limited interface when there are systems
13 out there that are easy to use and powerful, in the same interface?
14
15 > the things we need to work effectivly. I also think none of the Gentoo
16 > developers will have problems learning Bugzilla if they set there mind
17 > to it.
18
19 I have no doubt that is true, but I respectfully disagree that this is
20 something the Gentoo developers should be spending their time with. A
21 bug tracking system should be quick and intuitive, not something that
22 takes a long while to learn, with a complicated interface. At this
23 point, I think just having a database where bugs/ebuilds/etc can start
24 being registered is far more important than having an interface that
25 takes time to learn. I mean, if it takes a while to learn, why would
26 people bother using, when then can just keep going as they are?
27
28 Someone critizized Pest's interface... I was wondering what the problem
29 with it was? I heard quite a few positive comments about it on the
30 Gentoo-user list, and I thought it was a very clean system. The demo is
31 a bit messy with all the garbage projects and bugs, but the interface
32 was very nice I thought. Although the Demo does not show it, the version
33 that came out yesterday has a severity option as well.
34
35 I'll take a look at the other tracking options as well.
36
37 -Josh