From: Eitan Mosenkis <eitan@××××××××.net>
To: Gentoo SoC <gentoo-soc@l.g.o>, Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [GSoC status] Web-based image builder
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 22:12:08
1 I forgot to post a status report since last Friday was pretty hectic.
2 In short form, last week I:
3 -Finished the logging mechanisms so that the logs will track things
4 besides just command execution.
5 -Wrote a command-line wrapper in C to an ISO manipulation library to
6 make things far more efficient and avoid any number of difficulties
7 with generating bootable ISOs from the Gentoo autobuilds
8 -Stopped generating the base system with emerge system (which was very
9 slow and not really complete) and moved to using stage3 tarballs
10 instead
11 -Cache a list of packages and init scripts present in the stage3s in
12 the database
13 -Quite a bit of clean-up of the backend to make the logs less messy
14 and the automatic notification emails actually usable
15 In the last two days, I:
16 -Cleaned up some pointless links in the frontend
17 -Rehashed the configuration wizard so I can reuse the HTML form
18 classes in other contexts
19 -Tweaked the package selection mechanism for efficiency
20 -Added the option to remove init scripts enabled by default and
21 packages present in the stage3
22
23 Ideally I'd like to make the system available for testing ASAP, but
24 since the system needs root access to run, getting a server to run it
25 on is a little tricky.
26
27 I'd like to ask for some input here. I intend to make an option
28 available whereby instead of using an entire stage3 system, the user
29 can choose to have all packages not absolutely necessary for a working
30 system uninstalled. Please respond off-list with the following: the
31 make.profile you use (or arch) and a list of packages absolutely
32 necessary for the base system.