From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Dependencies that're available at pkg_*inst
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 15:22:10
1 On Sat, 2008-04-19 at 06:33 +0100, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 22:27:21 -0700
3 > Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o> wrote:
4 > > My interpretation is pkg_* counts as runtime (I can imagine a package
5 > > wanting to run itself at this point), so packages in RDEPEND should
6 > > be usable at that point.
7 >
8 > Which would be fine, except it makes the tree unusable.
9 >
10 > > Really, it seems to be an additional type of dependency that neither
11 > > DEPEND or RDEPEND fully describe, and this DEPEND+RDEPEND idea isn't
12 > > quite capturing it either.
13 >
14 > Yup, and for future EAPIs labels can fix this. But we have to have a
15 > sound solution for current EAPIs.
16
17 I would agree that RDEPEND should likely be installed prior to
18 pkg_preinst to satisfy the dependency. After all, PDEPEND is "good
19 enough" for doing packages that aren't required at
20 pkg_preinst/pkg_postinst.
21
22 We definitely don't want to install DEPEND at the pkg_* stages, so I'd
23 say the requirement there, if you're asking, is prior to src_*, if that
24 matters.
25
26 I'd love to have some kind of functionality to allow some kind of
27 "optional" dependencies. The only real way that I could see this
28 working is if we tracked what was installed as an optional dependency,
29 and not reinstall it if it has been removed the next time the depending
30 package is merged.
31
32 Simple example:
33
34 ODEPEND="video_cards_nvidia? ( x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers)" would
35 install x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers the first time it's ran with
36 VIDEO_CARDS="nvidia", but if I removed x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers, it
37 wouldn't get reinstalled. This would probably need some kind of
38 "--newuse" like capability to allow for installing only *new* optional
39 dependencies, but I think that the tracking would already allow that.
40 The idea here would be to allow for installing "recommended" software
41 along with others. We could even have --ask ask for the dependencies,
42 since they are optional, after all.
43
44 This way, we could "ship" a more robust configuration/setup for many
45 popular applications without forcing software on people.
46
47 It's an idea, anyway, and I hope that I didn't hijack the thread.
50 Chris Gianelloni
51 Release Engineering Strategic Lead
52 Games Developer