From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Dependencies that're available at pkg_*inst
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 07:10:03
1 On Sat, 19 Apr 2008 00:43:08 -0700
2 Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o> wrote:
3 > I would agree that RDEPEND should likely be installed prior to
4 > pkg_preinst to satisfy the dependency. After all, PDEPEND is "good
5 > enough" for doing packages that aren't required at
6 > pkg_preinst/pkg_postinst.
7
8 It's likely to, but not guaranteed to be.
9
10 > We definitely don't want to install DEPEND at the pkg_* stages, so I'd
11 > say the requirement there, if you're asking, is prior to src_*, if
12 > that matters.
13
14 If the alternatives are not being able to install from a binary at all
15 due to circular dependencies, or being able to install from a binary
16 using DEPEND to satisfy circular dependencies, which would you take?
17
18 > I'd love to have some kind of functionality to allow some kind of
19 > "optional" dependencies. The only real way that I could see this
20 > working is if we tracked what was installed as an optional dependency,
21 > and not reinstall it if it has been removed the next time the
22 > depending package is merged.
23
24 Sort of like what kdebuild has for suggested dependencies, but less
25 strong?
28 Ciaran McCreesh