From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Issues regarding glep-55 (Was: [gentoo-council] Re: Preliminary Meeting-Topics for 12 February 2009)
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 15:57:33
1 On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 10:46:30 -0500
2 Richard Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
3 > I will certainly concede that putting it inside the ebuild
4 > potentially breaks compatibility with existing package managers.
5 > That is certainly a downside to this approach. However, none of the
6 > other objections that have been raised appear to hold water.
7
8 ...and it means we can't change name or version rules.
9
10 ...and it means over doubling the best possible time to work out a
11 dependency tree in the common case where the metadata cache is valid.
12
13 ...and it means we can't make arbitrary format changes.
14
15 > And if backwards compatibility were a serious issue you could define
16 > a new ".ebuild2" file spec that incorporates the EAPI inside the file
17 > and current package managers would ignore it. Then you're not
18 > changing the file extension every time a new EAPI comes along, and
19 > the need to do so could be handled via future GLEPs.
20
21 Developers already have to stop and think and consult the conveniently
22 available table of features for EAPIs. By splitting the EAPI concept in
23 two you're doubling the amount of data to be learnt.
26 Ciaran McCreesh